Product Owner - Derry, Northern Ireland
For almost 50 years, AVEVA software has enabled the creation of some of the world’s most complex power and process plants, vessels and offshore facilities. AVEVA’s Digital Asset approach ensures there is always an accurate digital representation of each physical asset. This allows engineering contractors, Owner Operators and shipbuilders to work more safely, more efficiently and with less risk throughout the life cycle of their projects and operations. AVEVA is the proud winner of the Frost and Sullivan 2015 Global Engineering Information Management Solutions Competitive Strategy Innovation and Leadership Award. For further information about working at AVEVA please visit http://www.aveva.com/en/About/Working_for_AVEVA
A key role working as an integral part of the Product Development function using Agile development processes within an Agile Release Train (ART) team.
• Working with clients, client prospects and AVEVA colleagues (including overseas) to understand business domains and document related problems is a pre-requisite and will be a normal requirement of successfully executing this role.
• Analysis and translation of Jobs to be Done (JTBD) into detailed features and user stories with acceptance criteria.
• Detailed product solution analysis, working closely within the product development team to specify the behaviour and scope of development activities for the team.
• Actively participate in product owner’s community of practice, providing contributions to the application of a practical and consistent approach to product ownership in allocated teams.
• Review deliverables and demonstrable software after every sprint, with recommendation to accept or reject.
• Participate in the decision making and prioritisation process for issues captured by the application support and implementation teams, ensuring clear understanding of the problem and SLA terms prior to development (sustain).
• Showcase existing and new product functionality to demonstrate solutions to address target customer and market challenges.
Job Dimensions and Responsibilities
• Preparation and Participation in Program Planning
Refine business epics (Jobs to be Done) into features and user stories with complete traceability back to the proposed value stream.
Define program/team goals and acceptance criteria for a Program Iteration (PI/release).
Definition of Minimal Viable Product (MVP) for a program iteration
Ensure consideration for the impact of a proposed MVP on existing customers
Promote early focus on the user experience through the consistent definition of user journeys
Continuously consider Effort vs. Reward balance during the analysis phase and beyond
• Carry out Detailed Requirements Analysis
Actively gain business domain knowledge from the industry and customers to ensure that the team completely understand problem they are building solutions for.
Design and participate in customer engagements to receive feedback
Model the as-is and to-be solution design (including modified business processes)
Perform an impact analysis of new features and technologies for both current and prospective customers
Validate problem understanding by producing easy to understand artefacts
Demonstrate strong product knowledge and application of the platform within the Business Domain
Understand product placement and integration withiin customer business and IT landscapes
• Provide Product Owner Role in Sprint Execution
User story creation and management to acceptance
Backlog management across sustain, bugs and user stories
Host and participate in sprint planning workshops
Promote quality via robust acceptance criteria definition
Accept user stories
Understand enabler tasks
Showcasing sprint output and early feedback during sprint reviews
Participate in sprint retrospective to ensure continuous process & team improvement
Reduce team impediments
Support hotfix requirements with managed disruption to team deliverables
Encourage and support innovation from the team
• Participate in Ensuring Successful Program Delivery
Inform program management of risks and scope definition crucial to monitoring program health
Participate in "Community of Practice"
Prepare scenario based ProCon demos of new features
Elicit and record customer feedback
• Teamwork & Organisation (TMO)
Planning and time management
Follow team processes
Utilize metrics based approach to time management and improvement
Manage time for longer term strategic analysis balanced with immediate sprint demands
Facilitate effective meetings
Effective use of tools to share and collaborate (TFS, OneNote, Mockup & Diagramming Tools)
Effective enabler and coach to support team objectives
Define and evangelise agile methodologies and improvement
Responsible for continued awareness of the business value of the platform within the team
Skills & Characteristics
1. Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal.
2. Excellent presentation skills – both design and delivery
3. Strong interpersonal skills and desire to use these skills to unearth business problems during engagements.
4. Strong negotiation skills with stakeholders.
3. Understand the importance of product development processes to continually improve how we do things
4. Analytical thinker with ability to decompose large and often complex business processes into smaller manageable parts.
5. Natural curiosity to understand business domain, personas and problems, including root cause analysis.
6. Self-motivated, organised with good a time management/planning skills and ability to prioritise and negotiate.
7. Innovative, willingness to question what has gone before, utilise an options based approach to solution design
8. Advocate of evidence based approach to decision making;
9. Comfortable working with measurable data to turn information into knowledge
10. Able to understand when a process is fit for purpose, needs to be deviated or needs evolution
11. Enthusiasm for team work, knowledge sharing and experience of a candid feedback culture designed to improve both personal and team effectiveness
12. Passion for delivering high-quality software solutions to customers based on a clear understanding of their problems
13. Solid understanding of technologies used in the development process for the target domain, sufficient to contribute to team decisions and understand implications of decisions.
14. Willingness to take ownership of aspects of the Product Development processes and improvement.
15. Willingness to work in a non-blame culture with a view towards failing fast and correctly.
How to Apply
Send a current CV to [email protected]