Senior Software Engineer
Solutions and Technology, Product Development, ERM
The Senior Software Engineer’s primary responsibility is to play an active part in the continuous development of AVEVA’s software solution AVEVA Enterprise Resource Management™ (AVEVA ERM™).
AVEVA is the world's leading engineering IT software provider to the EPC, plant, power and marine industries. AVEVA’s software solution ERM (“Enterprise Resource Management”) provides an integrated Material Management solution for large Projects. ERM covers a full Enterprise Resource Management control process from managing catalogues and specifications through Engineering Material Control, Requisitioning, Procurement, Project Planning and Construction Management.
The Senior Software Engineer will be developing ERM to fulfill functional and technical requirements, giving attention to usability, performance and consistency across the AVEVA ERM product suite, with a special focus on the Project Planning and Costruction Management products. A key part of the role is to understand and be responsible for software design, development and to have an extensive understanding of the underlying architecture.
The successful candidate will work with development of AVEVA ERM products in an agile (Scrum) development environment and will participate in all elements of the software lifecycle, from requirement elaboration, analysis, design and prototyping, through to coding, unit testing, system test support and maintenance. The role requires good communication and team player skills as well as proactive mindset being willing to take responsibility and commitment to help drive sprints and eventually projects to a successful outcome. Previous experience of working in Scrum or, highly structured development environments would be preferable, as would work in a global multi-site, multi-cultural organisation.
The role will be based at office in Bremen, occasional travel may be required as the need arises. This may include trips to European offices as well as to office in Hyderabad, India.
This position may include responsibility for technical coordination of work required with the members of other teams who may be located in ERM development sites in Aalborg, Chesterfield, Hyderabad, Cambridge etc. There are no direct reports to this post. The team members will be a cross-section of business analysts, system architects, software engineers and end-user specialists.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for specifying the architecture and implementing the solutions in the product range to meet requirements. Principal accountabilities includes product development with ERM Team covering below important activities:
- Research possible product enhancements, including understanding priorities
- Participate and comment in review sessions
- Implement (or oversee implementation of) approved enhancements to products – reporting on progress against estimate and highlighting unexpected technical issues
- Be involved in the testing activity for ERM products
- Provide support to Business Units, TPS and 3rd level support to customers, for issues relating to use of the products in production releases
- Co-ordination of work with that of other individuals working on enhancements and bug fixes to the product
- Handle day-to-day technical clarification issues raised by other team members
- Providing Technical Analysis within Projects:
- Preparation of detailed task breakdown and estimates
- Ensuring that content matches the approved specification (i.e. no omitted requirements, and no scope-creep)
- Ensuring that new developments are designed to take advantage of existing facilities in all appropriate AVEVA products
- Undertake Software development
- Merge changes into the Configuration Management system, and ensure the subsequent integrity of code
- Ensure Staff are made familiar with new product capability and encourage re-use of new code by preparing and giving presentations and demonstrations
Important Working Relationships:
It is a pre-requisite to be able to function effectively as a member of a dynamic team within a matrixed organisation. Excellent communication skills will be required to develop good working relationships in the following areas:
Project Managers and technical resources to ensure successful development of the product.
Members of the ERM development teams in other development sites within a project and to share knowledge among all.
The Business Analyst & Architect team members.
Develops good working relationships with TPS and PS team and always provides a high level of service and professionalism.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
- A Computer Science, Math or equivalent Degree or experience
- Competence in object oriented software design, with appreciation of coding and design for maintainability, extensibility, testability and reuse
- Good knowledge of the .NET framewok, the C# programming language and WPF/WCF
- Ability to deliver against content, quality and date
- Ability to create effective unit and integration tests
- Ability to estimate tasks, using task breakdown and advice from colleagues.
- Ability to document and communicate in English to a high standard
- Capable of working as part of a small team with excellent communication skills
- Methodical and organised
- Self-starter, demonstrating ownership of tasks from inception to delivery
- Able to propose multiple solutions to challenges and adapt to changing requirements
- Responsive to the needs of management, colleagues and business representatives
Experience of any of the following would be an advantage:
- Development with Visual Studio
- Relational Databases (e.g.Oracle, MS SQL)
- Design Patterns, Unit Testing, Test Driven Development, use of Mock frameworks
- Product Lifecycle Management systems
- Engineering applications software in general
- SharePoint, ASP, ASP.NET, WF, REST, WebForms, ActiveX, VizStream, Web Services, UX, Deployment
- Agile Software Development, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration
- Windows-based enterprise systems: deployment, performance, scalability and security
How to Apply:
Please do send your full application package including a CV and Cover letter quoting the name of the position, on the following email address: [email protected].
If you have any questions regarding vacancies or application process reach out to the HR administrator on the following email address: [email protected].
AVEVA welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil partnership status, race, religion and belief, disability or age.