SRP Navajo Station – High Fidelity Simulation
AVEVA™ Dynamic Simulation Power Validates Controls and Trains Operators on new DCS for SRP Navajo
- Improve the performance of the Navajo plant by implementing an alarm rationalization program.
- Build a High-Fidelity simulator to replicate actual dynamic response of plant operations.
- Use the simulator to test and verify the alarm management system.
- Repurpose simulator for operator training, continuous improvement and knowledge capture.
- Build operator knowledge and confidence in the new DCS prior to going online in the actual unit
- Eliminate unplanned downtime or emergency shutdowns
- Reduce the increasing number and frequency of process alarms while keeping the power plant safe and profitable.
- New system resulted in a 44% reduction of configured alarms at the Navajo Station.
- Eliminating the number of alarms at the plants frees operators to address plant efficiency in positive ways (such as decreasing heat rate).
- The success at SRP Navajo led to a similar implementation at the combined cycle and simple cycle units at Santan station. Plant startup previously took two operators up to four hours to complete. It can now be performed by one operator in less than two hours
“Now we have valid alarms that mean something to operators so they can respond appropriately. This increases efficiency and reliability. Operators now see the alarm system as a tool they appreciate, instead of a necessary annoyance”.
-Ron Bewsey, I&E supervisor and I/A administrator