PDMS includes comprehensive functions for all aspects of 3D plant design. Select from the list to learn more.
- A fully interactive, colour shaded 3D plant design environment
- Hundreds of designers can work concurrently on a project, in a fully controlled manner, with visibility of the entire design at all times.
- Designers progressively create a highly intelligent 3D design by selecting and positioning parametric components from an extensive catalogue.
- Clash checking and configurable integrity checking rules help a designer create ‘right first time’ design and enable effective overall design quality assurance.
- A configurable Status Management function provides visual highlighting and clear reporting of design maturity status of PDMS objects.
- A standard model library saves design time and effort, by making it easier to reuse designs from existing built-in complex components.
- Highly configurable, automatic generation of a wide range of reports and drawings direct from the PDMS database
- AVEVA PDMS is highly configurable and includes both a powerful programmable macro language (PML) and a .NET API to customise the system and automate key tasks.
- PDMS integrates with all other AVEVA Plant™ applications and interface products to form a complete and configurable 3D plant design solution for the power and process industries.
AVEVA Schematic Model can store P&IDs from any intelligent P&ID application, combining freedom of choice of P&ID design software with access to the powerful functions of the PDMS environment.
- P&ID data can be imported from AVEVA P&ID™ or any ISO15926-compliant application.
- All P&IDs, from whatever source, can be used to create, compare and modify the 3D plant model using AVEVA Schematic 3D Integrator™. Invaluable when integrating multiple P&IDs from different contractors on a project, this open approach saves man-hours and makes elimination of errors quick, easy and thorough.
- P&ID design can now benefit from PDMS functions, such as multi-user working, revision control and global project execution.
- Complete and consistent schematic information enables quicker commissioning and easier plant maintenance.
An extensive set of catalogues covers industry, national, and international standards, and includes piping, structural steel, ducting, hangers, supports and cable trays.
- Each catalogue provides parametric definition of all components in the required size ranges, ratings and types. For piping components, for example, data is stored related to connection types, physical and nominal size, material codes and bolt requirements.
- Engineering specifications control the way in which catalogue components may be used in the design.
- Standard catalogues can be defined once and shared across multiple projects
- Controlled changes to components and specifications are quick and easy to make and apply across the design.
AVEVA PDMS's highly interactive piping design functions allow rapid modelling of all piping systems, based on component catalogues and engineering specifications. From this model, Piping General Arrangement drawings, isometric drawings and bills of quantity are produced.
- A full range of piping isometrics can be automatically generated, from the complete system, through to fabrication, erection and individual spool isometrics.
- AVEVA PDMS manages and integrates all stages of the piping workflow, from initial routing, through basic and detailed design to individual pipe spooling at the fabricator.
- In Integrated Mode, AVEVA PDMS references engineering and schematic data for design input.
- PDMS can be augmented with AVEVA Multi-Discipline Supports™ for the detail design of pipe supports, and interfaced with specialist applications for pipe stress analysis, flow calculation, wall thickness calculation or other tasks.
- Automated Pipe Routing includes automatic selection of items such as gaskets and flanges, allowing a preliminary route and Materials Take Off to be created very quickly.
- The Quick Pipe Routing function enables interactive pipe routing by using the mouse pointer to specify changes in direction. Components can be quickly positioned using feature snapping and intelligent prediction can complete a pipe route automatically.
- Sophisticated pipe manufacturability checks help designers ensure that pipes can be fabricated at least cost. Flange rotation checks ensure that bolt holes are correctly aligned.
- Integrity and clash checking functions highlight errors during modelling, for high quality design.
- Sophisticated modification capabilities enable the piping design to be progressively refined. These include functions to apply specification and bore changes across the line, and to define and modify sloping pipes.
- Piping Assemblies such as vents, drains or control sets can be added to the design as entities. Existing configurations can be saved for re-use elsewhere.
- All drawings have associative dimensions and 'intelligent' annotations, and can be updated automatically with design changes.
- Accurate materials information can be generated on each sheet or drawing or on separate reports for any System, Line, Area, and so on.
- Fully automatic piping isometric drawings can be produced directly from the database. Options are available to meet any industry, national, company or project requirement.
- AVEVA PDMS manages the creation of individual pipe spool isometrics, and of fully intelligent welds in the database, which can be maintained across multiple revision cycles.
"PDMS slashed field piping errors by a factor of 10."
AVEVA PDMS provides close integration with the Electrical and Instrumentation disciplines.
- All E&I items, including cabinets, transformers and switchgear, can be located in the 3D plant layout for visualisation, clash checking and production of arrangement drawings.
- AVEVA Cable Design™ enables connectivity information from AVEVA Electrical™ and AVEVA Instrumentation™ to be fed into PDMS for automated cable routing in the 3D model. PDMS feeds routed cable lengths back for accurate calculation of quantities.
- Compare & Update capabilities allow cable catalogues to be kept consistent between 3D layout and E&I engineering as the overall design evolves.
- 3D models of electrical equipment and off-line instruments can be created from parameterised templates, or imported as STEP files using AVEVA Mechanical Equipment Interface™.
- Valves and in-line instruments are selected from catalogues via engineering specifications. The workflow is fully integrated with 3D piping design, enabling such items to be detailed on piping isometrics, for example.
- The PDMS Cable Tray application selects components from a catalogue via an engineering specification and creates the complete cable tray layout. Cable Tray isometric drawings can be automatically generated for manufacturing purposes.
- For more extensive functionality, PDMS may be used with AVEVA Cable Design™.
- PDMS integrates with AVEVA Multi-Discipline Supports™ for the design of cable tray supports, and with AVEVA Instrumentation™, for the design and engineering of Instrumentation and Control systems.
AVEVA PDMS includes a specialist function for the design of all types of ducting.
- 3D ducting designers use an engineering specification to select parametric components from an extensive catalogue.
- A Fill function automatically fills the straight parts of the route with straight lengths of ducting.
- In-line equipment such as dampers, vanes, diffusers and hoods can all be included.
- The ducting model can be split into spool parts for manufacture and pre-assembly. Spool and isometric drawings can be produced automatically.
- AVEVA PDMS integrates with AVEVA Multi-Discipline Supports™ for the design of ducting supports.
- Integrity checking ensures correct alignment and sizing of duct components.
AVEVA PDMS includes parametric design of the steel and concrete structures found in process and power plant. A wide range of layout and component drawings can be produced, together with accurate weight and materials information.
- The Beams & Columns application defines a fully connected network of structural sections. Simple regular structures can be created easily.
- Standard bracing configurations can be customised as required.
- Structural modelling uses parameterised, extendable catalogues for components such as section profiles, joints, and fittings. Curved, tapered and built-up beams are all available.
- The Panels & Plates application enables designers to define flat panels of any shape, while the Walls & Floors application defines walls and floors of standard shapes.
- Fittings can be added to all types of beams, plates, walls, floors and so on, to apply items such as doors, windows, 'intelligent' piping penetrations, stiffeners, lifting lugs and fire-proofing.
- A specialised Access platforms, Stairs and Ladders (ASL) application is provided.
- Intelligent, parametric penetrations can be defined, with details such as kick-plates, and connected to both the structure and the penetrating item (for example, pipe or duct).
- Profile catalogues cover the leading international and national profile standards, including angles, channels and I-beams.
- Sample joint catalogues contain standard types of joints including cleats, endplates and sniped end preparations. Parameterised joint definitions automatically resize a joint if an associated section is resized.
- Fittings catalogues contain parameterised structural and industrial fittings, including lifting lugs, stiffeners, windows and doors.
- Interfacing options are available to link to third-party analysis software and structural detailing systems.
AVEVA PDMS is fully interoperable with AVEVA E3D™. Both share the same catalogues and specifications and may be used together on the same project.
PDMS integrates seamlessly with all AVEVA Plant™ products, including:
PDMS integrates seamlessly with all AVEVA Enterprise™ products, including:
In Integrated Mode, PDMS users have online access to P&ID data from AVEVA Diagrams™ and engineering data from AVEVA Engineering™, for consistency checks, inclusion in drawings and so on
A variety of interfaces to third-party design systems are available for functions such as pipe stress analysis.
PDMS supports a wide range of data exchange formats, including DXF, DGN, PDF, SDNF and CSV.
"PDMS created 10 piping isometrics in 10 seconds."
- Rich, easy to use reporting functions enable sharing across many of the AVEVA Plant modules and products, and generate comprehensive and high-quality, project-ready reports and report templates. In Integrated Mode, these can include schematic, engineering, and 3D design data, such as surface area, weight and centre of gravity.
- A wide range of layout and detail engineering drawings are available for all disciplines. Many, such as piping isometrics, can be generated automatically.
- All drawings and reports are produced directly from the PDMS database in accordance with user-configurable rules, ensuring consistency between documents and design.
- Drawing updates automatically include the latest design changes. Change highlighting can be used.
- Export/import to AutoCAD and MicroStation drawing formats is available.
- All types of reports and schedules [such as valve or nozzle schedules] can be produced, in CSV or other formats.
- Accurate Material Take Off information is available across all disciplines, by item, unit, area etc.
AVEVA PDMS is supplied with a predefined, extensible data model, enabling rapid deployment on projects. This may be extended with user-defined Element types and attribute definitions, for ongoing system enhancement. PDMS’s functions and graphical user interface may be extensively customised.
- Extensive international character sets enable localisation of the graphical user interface and data, catalogues, drawings and reports in Western, Asian, Middle-Eastern and European languages.
- An open programming environment enables customers to develop their own applications on top of PDMS. These can be written in any .NET language, such as C#, as well as in PML, a powerful object-oriented scripting language. PML enables customisation of functions to suit any particular project, industry or workflow, to add custom automation functions, or to create interfaces with in-house or third-party applications.
- Definitions and conversion factors are provided for a wide range of units, such as Distance, Bore, Area, Volume, Angle, Weight, Temperature, Density, Pressure, Force, Voltage, Current, Impedance and so on. Feet/inches and metric units are available throughout.