PDMS includes comprehensive functions for all aspects of 3D plant design. Select from the list to learn more.
- A fully interactive, intuitive 3D plant design environment, with a Microsoft Office-style user interface based on .NET technology
- Hundreds of designers can work concurrently on a project, in a fully controlled manner, with visibility of the entire design at all times.
- Designers progressively create a highly intelligent 3D design by selecting and positioning parametric components from an extensive catalogue.
- Clash checking and configurable integrity checking rules help a designer create ‘right first time’ design and enable effective overall design quality assurance.
- A configurable Status Management function provides visual highlighting and clear reporting of design maturity status of PDMS objects.
- Highly configurable, automatic generation of a wide range of reports and drawings direct from the PDMS database
- AVEVA PDMS is highly configurable and includes both a powerful programmable macro language (PML) and a .NET API to customise the system and automate key tasks.
- PDMS integrates with all other AVEVA Plant applications and interface products to form the most complete and configurable 3D plant design solution for the power and process industries.
AVEVA Schematic Model can store P&IDs from any intelligent P&ID application, combining freedom of choice of P&ID design software with access to the powerful functions of the PDMS environment.
- P&ID data can be imported from AVEVA P&ID or any ISO15926-compliant application.
- All P&IDs, from whatever source, can be used to create, compare and modify the 3D plant model using AVEVA Schematic 3D Integrator. Invaluable when integrating multiple P&IDs from different contractors on a project, this open approach saves man-hours and makes elimination of errors quick, easy and thorough.
- P&ID design can now benefit from PDMS functions, such as multi-user working, revision control and global project execution.
- Complete and consistent schematic information enables quicker commissioning and easier plant maintenance.
An extensive set of catalogues covers industry, national, and international standards, and includes piping, structural steel, ducting, hangers, supports and cable trays.
- Each catalogue provides parametric definition of all components in the required size ranges, ratings and types. For piping components, for example, data is stored related to connection types, physical and nominal size, material codes and bolt requirements.
- Engineering specifications control the way in which catalogue components may be used in the design.
- Standard catalogues can be defined once and shared across multiple projects, around the world.
- Data can be transferred to other AVEVA Plant applications.
- Controlled changes to components and specifications are quick and easy to make and apply across the design.
Now with enhanced manufacturability checking!
AVEVA PDMS's highly interactive piping design functions allow rapid modelling of all piping systems, based on component catalogues and engineering specifications. From this model, Piping General Arrangement drawings, isometric drawings and bills of quantity are produced.
- A full range of piping isometrics can be automatically generated, from the complete system, through to fabrication, erection and individual spool isometrics.
- AVEVA PDMS manages and integrates all stages of the piping workflow, from initial routing, through basic and detailed design to individual pipe spooling at the fabricator.
- AVEVA PDMS Piping integrates with piping schematics for design input, with AVEVA Multi-Discipline Supports for the detail design of pipe supports, and with specialist pipe stress applications, via the AVEVA Pipe Stress Interface. Custom interfaces to third-party flow calculation systems, wall thickness calculation or other software can easily be created.
- Automated Pipe Routing includes automatic selection of items such as gaskets and flanges, allowing a preliminary route and Materials Take Off to be created very quickly.
- Sophisticated pipe manufacturability checks help designers ensure that pipes can be fabricated at least cost. Flange rotation checks ensure that bolt holes are correctly aligned.
- The Quick Pipe Routing function enables interactive pipe routing by using the mouse pointer to specify changes in direction. Components can be quickly positioned using feature snapping and intelligent prediction can complete a pipe route automatically.
- Integrity and clash checking functions highlight errors during modelling, for high quality design.
- Sophisticated modification capabilities enable the piping design to be progressively refined. These include functions to apply specification and bore changes across the line, and to define and modify sloping pipes.
- Piping Assemblies such as vents, drains or control sets can be added to the design as entities. Existing configurations can be saved for re-use elsewhere.
- All drawings have associative dimensions and 'intelligent' annotations, and can be updated automatically with design changes.
- Accurate materials information can be generated on each sheet or drawing or on separate reports for any System, Line, Area, and so on.
- Fully automatic piping isometric drawings can be produced directly from the database. Options are available to meet any industry, national, company or project requirement.
- AVEVA PDMS manages the creation of individual pipe spool isometrics, and of fully intelligent welds in the database, which can be maintained across multiple revision cycles.
"PDMS slashed field piping errors by a factor of 10."
AVEVA PDMS allows all electrical and instrument items, including cabinets, transformers and switchgear, to be located in the 3D plant layout for visualisation, clash checking and production of arrangement drawings.
- 3D models of electrical and off-line instruments can be created from parameterised templates, or imported as STEP files using AVEVA Mechanical Equipment Interface.
- Valves and in-line instruments are selected from catalogues via engineering specifications. The workflow is fully integrated with 3D piping design, enabling such items to be detailed on piping isometrics, for example.
- The PDMS Cable Tray application selects components from a catalogue via an engineering specification and creates the complete cable tray layout. Cable Tray isometric drawings can be automatically generated for manufacturing purposes.
- For more extensive functionality, PDMS may be used with AVEVA Cable Design.
- PDMS integrates with AVEVA Multi-Discipline Supports for the design of cable tray supports, and with AVEVA Instrumentation, for the design and engineering of Instrumentation and Control systems.
AVEVA PDMS includes a specialist function for the design of all types of ducting.
- 3D ducting designers use an engineering specification to select parametric components from an extensive catalogue.
- A Fill function automatically fills the straight parts of the route with straight lengths of ducting.
- In-line equipment such as dampers, vanes, diffusers and hoods can all be included.
- The ducting model can be split into spool parts for manufacture and pre-assembly. Spool and isometric drawings can be produced automatically.
- AVEVA PDMS integrates with AVEVA Multi-Discipline Supports for the design of ducting supports.
- Integrity checking ensures correct alignment and sizing of duct components.
AVEVA PDMS includes parametric design and detailing functions for the steel and concrete structures found in process and power plant. A wide range of layout and component drawings can be produced, together with accurate weight and materials information.
- The Beams & Columns application defines a fully connected network of structural sections. Simple regular structures can be created easily.
- Standard bracing configurations can be customised as required.
- Structural modelling uses parameterised, extendable catalogues for components such as section profiles, joints, and fittings. Curved, tapered and built-up beams are all available.
- The Panels & Plates application enables designers to define flat panels of any shape, while the Walls & Floors application defines walls and floors of standard shapes.
- Fittings can be added to all types of beams, plates, walls, floors and so on, to apply items such as doors, windows, 'intelligent' piping penetrations, stiffeners, lifting lugs and fire-proofing.
- A specialised Access platforms, Stairs and Ladders (ASL) application is provided.
- Intelligent, parametric penetrations can be defined, with details such as kick-plates, and connected to both the structure and the penetrating item (for example, pipe or duct).
- Profile catalogues cover the leading international and national profile standards, including angles, channels and I-beams.
- Sample joint catalogues contain standard types of joints including cleats, endplates and sniped end preparations. Parameterised joint definitions automatically resize a joint if an associated section is resized.
- Fittings catalogues contain parameterised structural and industrial fittings, including lifting lugs, stiffeners, windows and doors.
- Interfacing options are available to link to third-party analysis software and structural detailing systems.
"PDMS created 10 piping isometrics in 10 seconds."
- A wide range of layout and detail engineering drawings are available for all disciplines. Many, such as piping isometrics, can be generated automatically.
- All drawings and reports are produced directly from the PDMS database in accordance with user-configurable rules, ensuring consistency between documents and design.
- Drawing updates automatically include the latest design changes. Change highlighting can be used.
- Export/import to AutoCAD and MicroStation drawing formats is available.
- All types of reports and schedules [such as valve or nozzle schedules] can be produced, in CSV or other formats.
- Accurate Material Take Off information is available across all disciplines, by item, unit, area etc.
- Reporting options include surface area, weight and centre of gravity.
- Latest AVEVA PDMS 12 drafting enhancements include TrueType fonts, Windows printing and direct pdf output
AVEVA PDMS 12’s functions and graphical user interface may be extensively customised.
- Element types and attribute definitions may be user-defined.
- The graphical user interface can be localised and customised.
- An open programming environment allows customers to develop their own applications on top of PDMS. These can be written in any .NET language, such as C#, as well as in PML, a powerful object-oriented scripting language. PML enables customisation of functions to suit any particular project, industry or workflow, to add custom automation functions, or to create interfaces with in-house or third-party applications.
- An extensive range of international character sets can be used for data, catalogues, drawings and reports. These include many multi-byte (Asian) and single-byte (European) character sets.
- Feet/inches and metric units are available throughout.
- PDMS 12.1 has been extended to include definitions and conversion factors for a wider range of units, such as Distance, Bore, Area, Volume, Angle, Weight, Temperature, Density, Pressure, Force, Voltage, Current, Impedance and so on.