Watch how Total uses AVEVA™ Operator Training Simulator in the cloud to deliver safe, resilient and agile training to more than 2000 operators each year
Energy giant Total wanted to provide its employees with realistic virtual learning programs at its industry-scale process training facility in La Mede, France. By deploying six cloud-based AVEVA Operator Training Simulators in partnership with Microsoft Azure, Total created a fully simulated petrochemical facility that provides highly effective training in a safe environment identical to the control room. This enables teams to learn how to handle any potential hazards, and improves accessibility and scale, meaning up to 2000 operators can be trained each year.
“It was key to combine AVEVA’s proven leadership in OTS training with the secure operational agility of a cloud-based platform. This has never been more important than today when global lockdowns force many teams to operate remotely.”
– Meriam Chebre;
Competences Program Manager - Total
- Create a digital replica of the control room and field operations to enable teams to train in safety and at scale
- Ensure business continuity with a resilient system
- Deliver both remote and in-classroom training
- Create a scalable solution that can be replicated in other virtual environments across Total’s operating portfolio
- Provide training in how to cope with malfunctions and dangerous incidents that are otherwise difficult to practice
- Help new operators learn to optimize complex, dynamic processes
- Provide a way to train teams and new operators remotely during the global pandemic lockdowns
- Shorten the time taken for employees to undertake full training programs
- Six dynamic simulators provide a realistic environment that enables trainees to practice all types of situations including dangerous incidents
- The cloud-based solution provides access to the training from anywhere and at any time, which was particularly important during the global pandemic lockdowns
- Training programs reduced in length from several weeks to a few hours
- More than 2000 operators can now be trained safely and sustainably every year
- Training Managers can create a wide range of exercises, easily adaptable for all trainee profiles
- An agile training system that can evolve to meet future needs
Read the LNS Research eBook to learn how chemical companies are exploring plant and process data through digital technologies to raise business performance.
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.