Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS), based in Malaysia, is a fully integrated oil and gas multinational company that produces 2.4M barrels of oil equivalent per day. Such a large operation, spread over numerous facilities, resulted in data silos—and high-value leakage where it prevented fast response to potential equipment failures. To enable greater data visibility to resolve this problem, PETRONAS turned to AVEVA™ PI System™ and AVEVA™ Predictive Analytics.
With AVEVA PI System and AVEVA Predictive Analytics, PETRONAS has achieved this aim. PETRONAS has automated its machine operations knowledge with AVEVA Predictive Analytics—so that its subject matter experts are immediately notified about equipment anomalies. With this cloud-enabled early warning system in place, PETRONAS has decreased equipment downtime, increased operational efficiency, and saved $US33 million since implementing this program in 2019.
- Improve reliability of rotating equipment by anticipating failures
- Increase operational efficiency and output by reducing downtime of onshore plants and offshore platforms
- Empower subject matter experts and operators across sites with readily available asset data
- Saved $33 million as a result of reduced unplanned downtime due to 51 warnings—including 12 high-risk warnings (20x ROI)
- Increased asset utilization—including plant reliability and overall equipment efficiency—by 0.1% per plant
- Accelerated response time to events as a result of improved multi-discipline collaboration
“To date, we have achieved value creation in the form of cost avoidance to the tune of millions of dollars. This application has provided a good return on investment for our company.”
—Azmi Md Lasin, Principal Engineer, Rotating, PETRONAS
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.