US power leader Dominion Energy gathers and shares data from across its North American grid network using AVEVA Data Hub and AVEVA PI System. This integrated, hybrid cloud digital data highway allows Dominion’s team to turn power grid data into a new source of revenue. Dominion’s customers can view the company’s energy source and performance data to track its sustainability commitments and ensure the company is using energy from low-carbon sources. This visibility enables Dominion’s customers to provide proof of their own net-zero commitments to investors and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) auditors. As a result, Dominion is increasing its profitability and helping to accelerate the low-carbon energy transition in North America.
“By utilizing AVEVA Data Hub, we enable our data to reach the cloud quickly. From there, we can share it with our utility customers so that they can use it. We're turning real-time data on energy sources into a selling point for our company, and this enables our customers to select Dominion over another energy provider. The intelligence of the AVEVA PI System tools means that we can achieve speed-to-market and realize benefits more quickly, for ourselves and our customers.”
-- Riley Moore, Manager, IT Process Systems, Dominion Energy
Riley Moore explains how using an easily-scaled, cloud-native platform for sharing data with customers gives Dominion a competitive edge over other energy providers.
Mike Timmons, Manager of Power Generation Excellence, discusses how Dominion has used AVEVA PI System since 1997 to quickly diagnose performance problems and return assets to service while minimizing downtime.
- Provide real-time information about power generation to Dominion’s customers via the cloud to enable them to meet their net-zero commitments
- Identify equipment performance issues before assets fail
- Providing accurate and timely data on energy sources and power flows to customers
- Unifying a high volume of high-fidelity data from many sites into a single interface
- Aggregating, analyzing, and interpreting historical and real-time data to generate insights
- Data shared in real time and integrated into Dominion’s activities
- 50% increase in speed-to-market for vital environmental data
- Identified and prevented 42 potential equipment failures in just one year
- Improved reliability and efficiency of power plant operations
Related success stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.