Wins Hydrocarbon Processing Health, Safety & Environment Award
VR-based simulation drives HSE excellence for operators
Virtual reality simulation-based training helps operators learn to make correct decisions in highly dynamic industrial environments such as refineries and chemical plants. Leaders can be confident that their operators understand both the impact of wrong decisions and the performance improvements that come from correct safety and reliability practices.
AVEVA and Shell’s Operations Mastery Project won the award for ‘Best Health, Safety or Environmental Contribution’ at the 2020 Hydrocarbon Processing Awards. With a cloud-based system, standard courses can run globally and operators can train on safe practices before setting foot in the plant.
AVEVA’s solutions enable Shell to deliver safe and sustainable training and improve overall environmental and human safety on site.
- Highly dynamic industrial environments demand highly trained operators
- Lack of real-life training environments for incident training
- Without experience, operators can make poor decisions
- Virtual Reality-based scenarios can imitate the live environment
- VR incidents can be safely created, enabling employees to train in more detail
- Operators can safely learn the impact of good and poor decisions, in safety
- Personal risk to operators reduced to zero in simulated training environment
- Deeper and more extensive scenario and behavior-based training practices can be established
- Leaders can be more confident in the training and experience of their teams in highly dynamic environments
- Overall HSE performance is improved