Southern Company is an integrated power company operating in the United States, with more than 46,000 MW of generating capacity, 200,000 miles of transmission lines, more than 80,000 miles of gas pipelines and 170 billion cubic feet of natural gas storage capacity. The company owns and operates eight electric and gas utilities serving more than nine million customers.
Southern Company places a premium on uninterrupted service, and it uses several AVEVA software products for the design, operation and maintenance of its fleet. AVEVA enables Southern Company with data-driven design, project execution, maintenance and operation by providing easy access to information with PI System and AVEVA Asset Information Management.
“Today, users can access information such as drawings, lockout and maintenance using simple keyword-based searches for over 125 generating assets, as long as they have a secure internet connection and company provided access.”
-Nathan Robertson, Southern Company, Digital Engineering Analyst
Nathan Robertson from Southern Company shares how they use AVEVA Software, including PI System and AVEVA Asset Information Management, as key enabling technologies of their Digital Twin.
- Provide an information delivery system for geographically dispersed generation fleet.
- Maintain data quality and reliability while allowing secure and easy access to information from anywhere at any time.
- Provide software and hardware agnostic solution to minimize rip-and-replace costs.
- Generating units located in 8 different US states.
- The company operates nuclear, coal, natural gas, biomass and other renewable power generation.
- Data comes from multi-vendors, software, hardware and protocols.
- Improved operations by gathering, analyzing and contextualizing data
- Browser-based information delivery hub securely accessed from anywhere.
- AVEVA Asset Information Management enables a single-source of truth delivery mechanism.
Nathan Robertson explains the importance of putting people first when introducing disruptive new technologies and solutions
Nathan Robertson explains how important it is to have a solid strategy with real business goals before starting your Digital Transformation journey