BP Revolutionizes its Oil & Gas Downstream Business with AVEVA’s Solution in the Cloud
BP drives improved margins across its global downstream business, cutting crude purchase decision time from two days to less than two hours.
“If you could do in minutes what previously took a day, what would you do? AVEVA’s technology in the cloud is creating time, and BP’s responsibility is what to do with the time saved. This is revolutionary to our business”
Claire Dickson, Downstream CIO, BP
- Simplify and standardize Oil & Gas downstream supply chain management to enable the business to quickly adapt to market changes and take advantage of economic opportunities
- Enhance data management and transparency to improve decision-making across global feedstock planning and refinery operations teams
- Reduce IT cost of ownership and increase agility by taking advantage of cloud-enabled workflows
- Lack of transparency and duplication of efforts across the supply chain — outdated technologies that required specialized skills limited the sharing of best practices and were not intuitive for refinery analysts to identify economic opportunities
- Inability to make quick decisions that could benefit the business — several hours for a set of runs of a refinery model resulted in evaluation of limited crudes and made it difficult to quickly reflect market changes, leading to lost opportunities
- Disconnected processes and tools — multiple local planning solutions resulted in high IT maintenance costs, inefficiency in data management, and inability to share knowledge between global teams
- Significant margin improvements through an improved refinery optimization process
- More robust and lower risk plans — ability to run complex models that weren’t possible before and execute more analysis due to improved calculation speed, down from seven hours to just over three minutes
- Earlier decisions and communications — decisions on feedstock purchasing and planning operations that previously took two business days can now be made in two hours and instantly shared across the enterprise
- Removal of technology limitations, enabling BP to focus on the human aspect of process improvement
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.