Yamal is located deep in the Russian arctic, a region that is ice-bound for seven to nine months of each year. An integrated project, it encompasses natural gas production from the South Tambey Field, liquefaction and shipping. Starting the new project, Yamal LNG saw several opportunities to use digital technologies to boost collaboration, avoid delays, cut project costs, reduce the potential for error and build a strong foundation to extend the asset’s lifetime.
“With AVEVA 3D Asset Visualization (formerly AVEVA Engage), the [design] model becomes almost physically approachable. It works faster than any other system we know and allows you to have a systematic view of the model.”
– Vladmir Kirillov
- Avoid delays that push work into the arctic wintertime
- Get all employees to adhere to the same standards
The following AVEVA solutions were implemented:
- The need for checking documents manually every 3-4 months was time-consuming and error prone.
- The climate made all set-backs dangerous and costly.
- With so many partners, documents were hard to keep up-to-date and approved by all.
- Moving to a data-centric approach mitigated challenges at every stage of design and construction
- Using common systems between teams cut time out from between ‘ready for startup’ and full operation
- Six months’ worth of savings in preparatory work