In 2014, CEMEX Energía was created with the dual purpose of reducing electricity costs and CO2 emissions in cement production, using renewable energy.
“We have a lot of turbines. So a lot of turbines means you need the capabilities of an Asset Framework – such as the templates – you can create just one template and spread among all the turbines.”
Roberto Carlos Medrano, Operation and Maintenance Manager, CEMEX Energia
- Improve operations and increase visibility into wind farm power production.
- Track performance for warranty and service contracts.
- Maximize generation from the largest wind farm in Latin America, since they are critical to the CEMEX cement production.
- Create Data Management system to support the company’s Energy Operational platform for all divisions, enabling a reliable asset management strategy to comply with all contractual obligations.
CEMEX’s solution was to use the PI System™ (Cloud) to improve turbine operations:
- Real-time wind farm management: Google Maps image overlaid with PI System data and combined with animation provides a live-action overview display for the wind farm.
- Lost production and failures prevention: operational spreadsheet reports using Event Frames and PI DataLink, focusing on assets with high frequency of failures.
- Contextualized Information: CEMEX Energía has a clear picture of their operations.