Plastics leader Covestro uses process simulation throughout its engineering and operations. Led by its Computer Aided Process Engineering (CAPE) team, Covestro is expanding its online simulation capabilities with AVEVA for deeper, more accurate insights for process modeling, operational efficiency, and profitability.
Christian Redepenning, simulation expert and CAPE community lead at Covestro, shows how previous attempts at online simulation helped his team capture non-measurable phenomena to monitor KPIs. The value was clear, but this simple process simulation had limitations.
Next, Christian Redepenning highlights the challenges faced in deploying online simulations everywhere they generate value. Covestro’s in-house simulation tool required expert users for basic tasks in maintenance and set-up. The absence of transparency for models and variables created a lack of trust in results. The value and effort were out of balance.
Covestro selected AVEVA™ Process Simulation to provide a transparent, user-friendly approach to modeling complex chemical processes. In the third video, Christian Bratfisch, expert for CAPE software and modeling, explains how the PI System works with AVEVA Process Simulation for more accurate models that are easier for the team to use and maintain so Covestro can make operations more efficient throughout the business.
- Replace existing online process simulation with a more efficient solution to generate greater value across the business
- Maintenance and replication of simulation models throughout the business required more time and effort than value generated.
- Set-up was tedious and complex
- A lack of graphical user interface hampered troubleshooting
- A lack of transparency made interpretation difficult and results unreliable
- AVEVA™ Process Simulation
- The PI System
- Simplified set-up and interpretation of results
- The solution is expected to reduce the maintenance effort of models by 20%
- The tools easily scale for use in additional plants, driving comparative value and economies of scale across the business
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.