Covestro produces high-tech plastics for the chemicals industry. Its Computer Aided Process Engineering (CAPE) team uses AVEVA™ Process Simulation to build and maintain reliable models and AVEVA™ PI System™ to manage complex data sets used for process simulation. Models take less time and effort to build, and better process visualization means the CAPE team can interpret the results quickly. Covestro uses the insights it discovers in its simulations to improve process efficiency and sustainability across the organization.
Covestro was able to capture what can’t be measured—such as product purity and energy demand—through online simulation. But these simulations required a lot of effort to maintain while providing limited information.
The setup, maintenance, and interpretation of Covestro’s online simulations became an ongoing challenge. The models were tedious, complex, and time-consuming—and without a graphical user interface, they were difficult to troubleshoot and results were unclear.
By implementing AVEVA Process Simulation in concert with AVEVA PI System data, Covestro saved time with a templated design and graphical visualization. Maintaining models became easier and less time-consuming, reducing time spent by approximately 20%.
- Build and maintain process models more efficiently.
- Create reliable models that produce easily interpreted results.
- High effort was required to maintain and replicate simulation models, but the models did not provide enough valuable information.
- Creating simulation models was tedious for engineers, and the process was too complex.
- It was difficult to troubleshoot simulations without a graphical user interface.
- Simulation results were difficult to interpret and not always reliable.
- Simulation models are now easier to build and maintain, and their results are easier to interpret.
- Covestro expects the AVEVA solution to reduce its maintenance effort for models by 20%.
- The solution is easy to replicate in additional plants, and standardized models will improve operational consistency.
Related success stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.