DTE Energy is the twelfth-largest utility in the U.S., serving 2.2 million customers in the state of Michigan. When disruptions to its electric grid would cause power outages, DTE used to spend hours figuring out where it needed to send repair crews. Now, AVEVA PI System can locate disruptions in five minutes and send out emails and texts to crews on the ground with maps of where the damage is.
“I’ve been hearing a lot about this Internet of Things. This is a good example of that–putting out these low-cost sensors, incorporating them into the PI System.”
Cameron Sherding, Senior Software and Controls Engineer, DTE Energy
- Reduce outage times
- Deploy repair crews efficiently
- Grid disruptions are difficult to predict and locate
- Lack of visualization made pinpointing faults difficult
- Creds in the field get alerts to edge devices with geographic maps of grid disruptions
- Estimated outage reduction of 500,000 minutes each year
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.