Xcel Energy has been generating wind power since 2005. But strong winds would often die down unexpectedly, requiring operators to ramp up generation at coal and gas plants at short notice to compensate for the loss in wind power. So, Xcel now uses AVEVA PI System to predict slow wind speeds hours in advance. Now coal and gas plants have plenty of time to turn on and pick up the slack.
“Savings and efficiencies are roughly estimated over the last six years at $46 million.”
Kasen Huwa, Senior Business Manager, Xcel Energy
- Forecast wind speed on turbines
- Predict when gas and coal would need to compensate for slow wind generation
- Starting up gas and coal plants on short notice to compensate for slow wind speed imposed high maintenance costs
- Accurate forecasts give coal and gas plants hours to ramp up instead of minutes
- Greater efficiencies save more than $7 million per year
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.