Oulu, Finland – In today’s high-tech world, the ancient industry of mining is more important than ever. Modern electronic devices can have more than 35 different minerals in them. Those same electronic devices often leave students disconnected from the practical world around them. The Oulu Mining School within the University of Oulu seeks to connect students with the practical application of mineral processing to support the ongoing revival of the Finnish mining industry.
- Boost plant and energy efficiency by introducing IIoT technologies that reduce downtime, while modernizing the control, monitoring, and management processes of the plant.
- Unlock data silos and better mobilize staff with increased plant-wide visualization, via real-time process data that is easily accessible and sharable.
- Lack of data visualization, accurate information and detailed analytics, hindering the teams’ ability to make timely decisions to optimize process efficiencies.
- Paper-based work order management and processes impacting decision making, response time and contributing to costly system downtime.
- AVEVA’s integrated cloud and edge solution with enhanced monitoring and visualization contributed to a reduction in energy use of 11% in the first year, and more than $6 million over the last three years.
- Leveraging AVEVA’s Discrete Lean Management software the site has reduced unplanned machine downtime by nearly 6% and eliminated 90% of manual paperwork.
"The collaboration with Schneider and AVEVA is extremely important for us. We’ve had visiting lecturers so that our students will learn from the expert, not just from us."
– Professor Saija Luukkanen,
Head of Oulu Mining School
Related Success Stories
Stay in the know: Keep up to date on the latest happenings around the industry.